Pewaukee High School is committed to developing students into citizens of our school and community that consistently demonstrate socially responsible behavior. The Pewaukee High School Merit Award is designed to recognize Positive Student Citizenship. Every student at PHS is eligible to earn the Merit Award by demonstrating positive behavior and through participation in the PHS community. Students can earn the High Merit Award through additional service to the PHS community.
Every student at PHS who meets the following criteria will be awarded the PHS Merit Award:
- Success Skills: Meet (3) or Exceed (4) Expectations in each category (Prompt & Prepared, Polite & Positive, Persistent & Productive) during Quarters 1-2 for every class
- Students who earn 1-3 “Partially Meets (2)” or “Does Not Meet (1)” in Quarters 1-2 may still be eligible for the Merit Award by submitting a short (2-3 paragraph) written rationale for how they earned the Success Skill score(s) and what lesson(s) were learned from the experience. Written rationales must be submitted by the deadline.
- Co-Curricular Participation: Student must actively* participate in at least one athletic or extra-curricular activity during the 2018-19 school year (as of March 30, 2020).
- Active participation will be verified by an adult supervisor to confirm student involvement in activity/sport throughout the season.
High Merit Award:
Students who would like to earn the distinction of the High Merit Award may apply for the High Merit Award. Only students who have earned the Merit Award by meeting the above criteria are eligible to apply for the High Merit Award.
To earn the High Merit Award, students should complete the following application to verify they have met the following qualifications:
- Success Skills: Meet (3) or Exceed (4) Expectations in each category (Prompt & Prepared, Polite & Positive, Persistent & Productive) for Quarters 1-2 for every class.
- School Discipline Record: Must not have violated school Athletics and Activities Code or incurred school suspension in response to inappropriate behavior.
- Co-Curricular Participation: Student must actively* participate in at least two athletic or extra-curricular activity during the school year as of the submission deadline.
- Service Hours: At least 8 hours of service to the Pewaukee School District. At least 4 hours must be completed at Pewaukee High School or high school sponsored activities. This can include volunteering to tutor a fellow student (verified and approved by your school counselor); helping out at school events such as concerts, plays, sporting events, and dances; or other miscellaneous projects approved by the school administration. Hours that count for the merit award cannot be used for another organization. (NHS, Key Club, etc).
- Co-Curricular Attendance: Attendance at a minimum of 10 co-curricular events, which can include sports, concerts, plays, etc. Attendance at extra curricular events for teams that you are expected to attend due to your participation in the program do not count (i.e. Attending a JV event because you are on the varsity team.)
- Teacher endorsement: Recommendation from 4 teachers (at least 2 current teachers), verifying positive leadership in class.
THE APPLICATION HAS MOVED TO AN ONLINE VERSION. Students should click here to get a personalized application emailed to them.